Monday, November 19, 2007

An Autumnal Feast

This Thanksgiving, I'm hosting.

Well, me and a couple of my girlfriends. And my little sister, by default, because she's coming to visit (!!!!!!).

This year, like last year, I'm feeding friends who don't have families in town.

An Orphans Thanksgiving.

A feast of Thanksgiving.

And this year, like last year, everything is going to be free of wheat, dairy, sugar and soy. We've cut construction paper dish signs so that people can mark their ingredients and whether their food is veg or not; I know that I, for one, am excited that I'll be able to fill my plate and my belly and not get sick.

We've ordered a free range turkey which I'm brining and roasting it as per Mr. Alton Brown (he hasn't let me down yet, and people are still talking about last year's bird--so let's do it again!). Christa is going to assemble the ginger, tangerine, cranberry relish. Bob's Red Mill's mix is giving up the cornbread (oh, so good, really), and we're rounding out our part of the meal with a green bean casserole-inspired mushroom and roasted brussel's sprouts dish (topped with lard-fried shallots) and a butternut squash smash, reminiscent of sweet potatoes and enriched with a splash of Grand Marnier. Oh yes--and this pumpkin pie, sans crust. And hot mulled cider with spiced rum to make it extra warming. And- okay.

Leslie is making vegan lentil loaf, vegetarian gravy and something yummy of broccoli and rice.

Tiffany is making beet soup in acorn squash, green beans tossed with meyer lemon and toasted pine nuts and her yummy gluten-free banana cookies. Oh, and honey butter I'm going to want to eat off a spoon.

Mamie is on mashed potatoes.

There's more, too. More friends, more food. We're expecting 15 or so over the course of the night; 10 for sitting down to dinner, I think?

It is SO FUN to take this over the top. To stay up late looking at recipes. To ponder my utensils and serving dishes instead of physiology. To load up with what is going to be too much food, and feel a little guilty and excessive about it.... and feel so, so thankful that this food, and these friends, and that night are a possibility.

No comments: